"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu

Saturday, March 16, 2013

"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost

       The protagonist in "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost represents a middle aged man who has come to crossroads in his life. He needs to choose a path to take. He says he's going to get to both but ends up staying on one. In the end, he revises his story to make it more interesting.
       The first stanza says, "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both." The yellow wood represents fall, like a middle aged man. He comes across two roads and is not happy because he cannot take both. Stanza two says, "Had worn them really about the same." This shows that the two paths are the same, the same amount of people has stepped on both. He could go on either one and end up in the same place. The fourth stanza says, "I shall be telling this with a sigh, Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." This shows that he was telling a story, he knew he was lying but he wished he took the more adventurous life. He exaggerated the story, and that has made all the difference in his life.
       This middle aged man who has come to crossroads in his life can connect to everybody because at some point in your life you have to make an important decision, and this decision can change your whole life. After, we think of how our life could have been different if we chose a different path. We exaggerate our storiesand sometimes make up an entirely new story, sometimes for a more interesting story, sometimes just to see what it would be like. Everybody can relate to coming to crossroads sometime in your life.

2 comments:

  1. You did a really nice job using direct quotes from the poem and showing what each of them revealed. It was clear and easy to understand even if I didn't read the poem before now. And your extension was really relatable. Nice job!

    Waniso

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post,
    I love the text evodence and how you supported each statment!

    ReplyDelete