Over the summer I read Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Septys (and no I do not mean 50 Shades of Grey). I thought this book unusual but very sad. The book is about a 15 year old girl, Lina, her mother, and brother. They get taken away from their home, and are put at different places to work with all the other people. They have no idea why they were taken and neither does anybody else. But the go along with it. Throughout this time, Lina is determined to find her father. The ending is not very happy though (no! i am not going to spoil it for you).
What I thought was interesting was the fact that it did not have a happy ending. Most books have a happy ending, in this case she would have gone home with her father, mother and brother and act as if nothing had ever happened. Especially after all the hard work on her trip. I was thinking about why the author did this, and I came up with the fact that she wants this to be memorable, unique and sad.
Think about it, how many books have you read that have a sad ending and compare that to how many books you have read with a happy ending.This
book is about love, hope, and sadness. Even though it is sad, I thought it was amazing.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a really interesting book. In a way it me of the Hunger Games. The whole taken away from your house, to a strange place concept is kind of like how each tribute is taken away from the people they love and their district. I also agree with what you said about how a lot of books have sad, but meaningful endings. Most of the books I read end with a bitter-sweet ending where it's not what the character wanted, but they get some of it. In the beginning of your response, you described the ending to have been interesting. As I read farther into your response, I got hooked, trying to see if you would mention what happened in the end. Great job!
DeleteI like how you used descriptive language to tell us about the book. I also like how you added no spoilers but still described the book in an accurate and informative way. Good job! Now I want to read this book.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the fact that it is very refreshing to find a book without a happy ending. I sounds like a very sad book, but it also sounds like a really good book. You did a really good job in showing what the book was really about.
ReplyDelete