"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thirteen Reasons Why

Clay, is one of the 13. One of the 13 excuses for Hannah's suicide. Clay is the main character in "Th1rteen R3asons Why" by Jay Asher. I believe this book is very emotional, interesting, and an overall great book. I am over halfway finished and still feel as if there are billions of page turners left.

In Thirteen Reasons Why, Clay gets sent these tapes with an anonymous sender. Throughout the story, Clay learns that the people on these tapes are who Hannah blames for her death. He has no clue why  he is on this list and is anxious to find out why. I think it's interesting how all the characters seem to have different personalities that are easily shown.

Clay gets distracted a lot. For example, When Hannah is talking about Zach and why he deserves to be on "the list", Clay is thinking, "Tony's still there, chewing a french fry and pumping ketchup on a hamburger." What does this have to do with Zach? Nothing. It's like he's just passing time before he finds his tape. When he does find his tape, he is not distracted as much, even though there are more comments from him then, they are just like, "the pain in my head doubles" or, "My chest relaxes, freeing a breath of air I didn't even know I was holding." Clay is actually very different depending on what's going on in the story.

Hannah is very different also. Sometime she seems anxious for revenge, sometimes she is just acting sorry and sometimes she is just being a jerk. "My only thought? Thank god I don't know morse code."

The characters in "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher are very different and somehow, they are all still connected. This book is an amazing page turner, I can't seem to put it down, and yet, it's taken me a while to even come close to finishing it.

2 comments:

  1. Great job in suming it all together! If hadn't read the book, I would have definetly wanted to read this book after hearing your description. I agree with you that Clay gets distracted, but I think he might not want to hear what she has to say about other people, because he knows all of them, and would be hard to look at that person the same way after knowing "what they've done" to Hannah. I also agree that all the characters are different from one another. However, (I think the Clay or Hannah mentions it) all of them still have in common that they did something that affected Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have badly wanted to read this book for a month so now I want to read it more. Having not read the book i really don't know if Clay gets distracted or not so I can't say. Based on what I know Clay gets distracted. I can't wait to read this book, because it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete