"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Leviathan (continued)

       I am still reading "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld. But something unusual happened, very unusual. I got up to page 152 and I was in the middle of a sentence with Deryn (the girl character who is pretending to be a boy) when the book skipped to page 217 with Alek (the "prince"). I looked all over the book for the missing pages. It turns out after page 248 it goes back to page 185. But I don't know where the other pages are between 152 and 185.
       Ok, this is weird I just was flipping through the book and I saw that the rest of the book was normal, 185 through 434. So that means that 217 through 248 is doubled and I don't have 152 through 185 and I have two chapter twenty-three's.
       Now I'm sad, I either have to not finish this amazing book or buy a new one to read 33 pages.........or......... I can bring it back to the Community Bookstore where I bought it!
       So between last week and this week a lot has happened in the book. Deryn is now in the air force and has found the Leviathan. the Leviathan is a huge airship and the outside is made of whale skin and skins from other animals. The people in this book call these ships "beasties." And now Deryn must help a scientist onto the ship and to some other place with a bunch of loud animals.
       Alek had his first run in the "Walker" and almost fell. He went into a little town in farmers clothes to get some parts for the "walker," and almost tell somebody he was the old prince Aleksandar. He's had quite a few enemies since he was born, so that could have been really bad. Alek had also managed to get himself into a fight with some horsemen. This book is getting interesting, I would really hate to have to miss those 33 pages. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the description really told me what was going on! Also, how long have you been reading the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pages are missing in my daughter's copy too. I went on line to see if anyone else had come across the same issue. Strangely enough, your post is the only place I found that makes mention of it. I wonder how many copies of the book were printed this way. All of them? Just one pressing? From the lack of info on the web addressing the missing pages, I can only imagine that there are only a few of them. Who knows...maybe they're worth something:-)

    ReplyDelete