"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu

Monday, February 24, 2014

Reading Response On Poem

Life is forever frightening, for if people were not afraid, nothing would seem fun.  Maya Angelou in her poem, “Life Doesn’t Frighten Me” writes about many fears people have. She uses many literary devices in order to show these fears. Her use of repetition is used to show the reader, regardless of age, people should not be afraid.
            “Life doesn’t frighten me at all.” This line is repeated over and over again to prove the author’s point. The repetition may be showing the reader her confidence in what she says. That she is proud to not be afraid. This repetition could also be a result of wanting this to be true. When people want things to be true they often just wait and repeat it over and over again to convince themselves it is true. Poets use repetition to prove a point, Angelou may be afraid but should not.
            People always have fears, no matter what age they are. Angelou supports this by using fears from younger ages as well as older ages. “Mean old Mother Goose” seems like it would be a fear from a younger child. “Tough guys fight” seems to be a fear from an older person. Older people are more likely to be afraid of tough guys trying to beat them up. No one should be afraid, but there are fears from a wide range of ages.
            Although I have grown out of the mother goose fear phase, I still have fears myself. The poem seems to focus on fears from younger children, what Angelou does not mention are fears people of every age have, such as my fears. I am very afraid of spiders, little kids are sometimes afraid of spiders. I don’t know what makes them scary but they are. As my parents say, “you shouldn’t be afraid of them, you are so much bigger than them.” I shouldn’t be afraid, but I can’t help it.

            Everybody has many fears although they feel they should not be afraid. People go through phases of fears through life, but some stay forever. How can people of different ages work to not be afraid of some of these things?  Almost everything you see in life must be scary to some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment