"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Spoiler Alert! ENDER'S GAME

Spoiler Alert!

Even books that have been banned could be good stories. At the moment, I am reading "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Yes, it has some violence, but that doesn't mean there isn't a good plot. Ender is in battle school, he is a commander of his own army (the dragon army). He's one of the best fighters the battle school has.

Ender has mixed feelings. He has a sister (Valentine) and a brother (Peter). He thinks and wants to be more like Valentine, but instead he seems to be a lot like Peter. For example, in the first couple pages Ender fights someone at school and then thinks, "I am just like Peter. Take my monitor away, and I am just like Peter." Ender is more like Peter than he thinks, even though he would like to be more similar to Valentine.

Ender is strangely smart. He has beaten the impossible game. In battle school, instead of computers, they have desks (they do pretty much the same thing). So on this desk there is a game where you have to get past a giant and then you'd get to fairyland. It was made as an impossible game and no one could get past it, and then some 7 year old got past to fairyland: "'Isn't it nice to know that Ender can do the impossible?'….'What matters is that he won the game that couldn't be won'" Ender uses thoughts and feelings to fight smartly, in real life and on his desk.

Ender is a peculiar child in thoughts, feelings, and smartness. He is way ahead of other kids his age.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I think you analyzed Ender in a very advanced way, you connected one character trait to another and then another. I think you also used very strong evidence to prove these traits. Once again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had really good evidence from the book and thought deeper about the character instead of just what was said. I liked you ending sentence!

    ReplyDelete